To receive the latest updates from
Compass Expeditions bi-monthly "e-News"
Compass Expeditions tour included in the National Geographic's "Top 50 tours
of a lifetime" list, making Compass the "only" motorcycle tour company on
earth to be included in this list.
May 22nd to June 4th 2013 / CODE: BB220513
July 2nd to July 15th 2013 / CODE: BB020713
June 8th to June 21st 2014 / CODE: BB080614
July 2nd to July 15th 2014 / CODE: BB020714
Brazil: Wonderful tropical beaches, mountains, jungles, waterfalls and spectacular riding, all on the 14 day Best of Brazil
Experience some of the best that Brazil has to offer starting in the magnificent Rio do Janeiro, with its spectacular beaches, world famous scenery and vibrant nightlife. We then transfer to our ride base in Penedo and begin the motorcycle tour, riding south and along one of the world’s most scenic coastal rides, the Costa Verde. We will visit wonderful colonial towns, enjoy chilled coconuts on the beach, dine in seafood restaurants and spend a day out, sailing amongst the islands and bays that dot this magnificent coastline. Turning inland we will visit the Germanic village of Blumenau and ride the amazing Serra do Rio do Rastro before visiting Brazil's highest city of Sao Joaquim. You will see the plume of mist long before you see the 275 separate falls that make up the greatest waterfalls on earth, Foz do Iguazu. We catch a jet boat to the face of the falls and wander the dramatic walkways around them. A fitting way to end this exciting motorcycle ride of Brazil.
* This tour also runs in the opposite direction
Tour Start: Rio do Janeiro / Foz do Iguaçu
Tour End: Foz do Iguaçu / Rio do Janeiro
Accommodation: 14 nights & 1 bonus night, 100% Hotels
Single Supplement: US$ 850
Ride days: 9 to 10 (Some days are spent in the same location allowing clients to ride around and explore the area, if desired, this will increase the number of ride days depending on client preferences).
- Rio do Janeiro
- Riding the Costa Verde
- Colonial town of Paraty
- Sailing amongst the tropical islands
- Riding the Serra do Rio Rastro
- Foz do Iguazu
GRADE 1: Please refer to FAQs for full details of our grading system.
This ride is suitable for off road novice and two-up riding
95% of this ride is on pavement, however some sections of pavement can be potholed. Brazilian drivers can adopt a cavalier approach to road rules, riders need to be aware.
The ride follows the coast on sometimes winding and twisting roads. We ride an amazing series of twisties through the Serro do Rio do Rastro.
Total distance: 2340 km / 1460 miles
OUR BIKE AVAILABLE ON THIS RIDE
BMW F 650 GS
POWER: 71HP twin engine
GEARBOX: 6 speed
SEAT HEIGHT: 820mm / 32inch
WEIGHT: 171kgs / 377pds dry
Low seat option 765mm / 30inch
We can't think of a better way to start our tour than sunset drinks from the lofty heights of Pao do Azucar (Sugarloaf Mountain), with the vibrant Rio far below. A full day is spent in Rio with a trip up to Cristo Redentor, the famous statue of Christ, and some time to explore the famous beaches of Ipenema and Copacabana. After a short transfer from the bustling city of Rio to the smaller, peaceful Penedo we ride south along the magnificent emerald coast to the wonderful village of Paraty. We spend the day sailing amongst the tropical islands on a twin mastered yacht or explore the area on the bikes, the choice is yours. We follow the coast road toward Bertoiga where we can enjoy an ice cold beer or a refrigerated coconut or simply idle away the evening walking along sandy beaches. Next port of call, literally, is the port town of Antonina where you can explore the colonial centre and scenic Baia de Paranagua.
We ride into the Vale do Itajai and stop at the Germanic city of Blumenau. A unique Brazilian city, Blumenau was settled by German settlers in the mid 18th century and has retained a strong German identity, it is an amazing place where you will think that we have stepped into the black forest region of Germany. From Blumenau we ascend into the Serro do Rio do Rastro towards Brazil's highest city of Sao Joaquim sitting at 1355 metres / 4445 feet, but not before riding the amazing mountain road that stretches from Bom jardim to Sao Joaquim through Araucaria forests. Continuing east we ride across Brazil before arriving at one of the world's greatest sights, Foz do Iguaçu. With 275 waterfalls plummeting over 80 metres / 262 feet you will hear the roar long before you see the mighty Iguaçu falls. This is one of the world's great sights, one that will leave you awestruck. We spend three nights visiting the falls from both the Argentinean and Brazilian sides. Included in the tour price are a host of things to do, such as a jet boat ride up to the falls and a train ride through the park. We celebrate the end of this amazing ride with an optional cabaret show and all you can eat churrascaria, the quintessential Brazilian experience. Our last day is spent with an included flight back to Rio.
- Airport Transfers
- Flight from Foz do Iguaçu to Rio do Janeiro (or reverse)
- Motorcycle rental BMW F 640 GS
- Border Paperwork
- Support vehicle with passenger carrying ability
- Breakfasts everyday, 7 lunches and 5 dinners
- Bonus night accommodation
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Pre-departure material and route maps
- Access to satellite phone, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions dress shirt
- Entrances to Corcovado, Sugarloaf Mountain
- Schooner sailing around the islands of Paraty
- Entrances to Foz do Iguaçu
- Jet boat and train rides at Foz do Iguaçu park
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- International flights
- Visas (if required)
- Personal spending money
- Personal health insurance
- Tips and gratuities
- 14 nights hotels & 1 bonus night
- Accommodation will generally be in 3 to 4 star hotels. For a list of our accommodation styles please refer to FAQs.
- A flexible attitude is needed as standards are not always what we are accustomed to.
- Single Supplement: US$ 850
On everyday of the tour we provide breakfast, on mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen, we provide mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants we have used many times before.
- Breakfasts: 14
- Lunches: 7
- Dinners: 5
- Please note that you will need to be in Rio do Janeiro one day prior to start of expedition.
- Please note your international flight will need to be booked for the day after tour end.
- For bookings of 60 days or less that have an "included flight" a surcharge of US$200 is added.
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition. Compass Expeditions has negotiated a 10% discount with various insurance providers, see our Book Here page on our website for insurance options.