April 27th to May 19th 2013 / CODE: LA270413
April 30th to May 22nd 2014 / CODE: LA300414
Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina & Brazil: This extensive ride must rate as ones of the worlds great journeys.
This is one of the most diverse and scenically stunning motorcycle tours we undertake. We begin at the former Incan capital of Cusco, taking in the incomparable Machu Picchu before crossing the Andes stopping at the worlds highest navigable lake, Titikaka, visiting the nearby floating island of Uros. We ride amongst the snow capped peaks of the Andes as we enter La Paz set at nearly 4 km / 2.5 miles above sea level. We then embark on a stunning ride to Uyuni on the edge of the incredible 12,000 square km / 7,500 square mile Salar de Uyuni where we spend a day out on the Salar in 4x4's. We cross into Chile then ride into the wonderful desert oasis town of San Pedro de Atacama, set on the fringe of the beautiful Atacama desert. Turning east we ride across the vast Chaco region of northern Argentina before reaching the greatest waterfalls on earth the thundering Foz do Iguaçu, all 275 of them, it’s a fitting way to end this remarkable ride, and we are the only company in the world offering this tour on motorbikes.
Tour start: Cusco, Peru
Tour end: Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
Accommodation: 23 nights & 1 bonus night
Single Supplement: US$ 1150
Ride Days: 13 to 16 (Some days are spent in the same location allowing clients to ride around and explore the area, if desired, this will increase the number of ride days depending on client preferences).
- High Andean scenery
- Riding the Sacred Valley
- Machu Picchu
- Floating Uros Islands
- Salar De Uyuni
- San Pedro de Atacama
- Valle de Luna
- Foz do Iguazu
Level Four: Please refer to FAQs for full details of our grading system.
80% of this ride is on paved roads, some sections of pavement can be potholed and narrow.
20% of this ride is off road, some sections of dirt can have loose gravel and can be rutted and corrugated with one very small section of sand. On this ride we will cross a 4,500 m / 14,470 ft pass and some time will be spent at an altitude over 3,000 m / 9,800 ft.
Total Distance: 4,325 km / 2,703 miles
Our first ride will see us visit the Sacred Valley passing numerous Incan ruins en-route to the legendary Machu Picchu. Three nights are spent in Cusco and surrounds before we ride into the Andes and onto the beautiful Lake Titikaka. Here we get to vist the "have to be seen to be believed" floating Uros reed islands, before crossing into Bolivia and onto the unoffical capital of La Paz. Two nights are spent in this amazing city set at 3,660 m / 12,000 ft above sea level under the watchful gaze of the snow caped Mt Illumani.
From La Paz we ride out onto the stunning high Altiplano and onto the worlds highest city at Potosi. A UNESCO listed city this old mining town sits at the foot of Cerro Rico, a mountain that has been continually mined for over 400 years. The next few days will provide you with some of the most memorable, wild and dramatic scenery you may have ever seen as we cross the Andes from Potosi to Uyuni and take a 4 x 4 out onto the otherworldly Salar de Uyuni, the worlds largest salt flats. We will pass multi-coloured high altitude lagoons that may be ringed with flamingos and see herds of Vicuna and Alpaca. We are the only motorcycle tour company to offer this amazing route. The week is finished off in Chile as we enter the stunning Atacama Desert stopping at the wonderful desert oasis town of San Pedro de Atacama. Watching the sun set over Valle de la Luna and seeing the surrounding volcanoes turn a blazing red is a perfect way to end what will be one very special week.
From the ancient Atacama Desert we turn east and enter Argentina at the remote border crossing at Paso Jama, the scenery is spectacular as we descend into the beautiful city of Salta. From here we cross the vast Chaco region of Northern Argentina staying overnight at the amazing hotel Puerto Valle en-route to the stunning Foz do Iguaçu. Our final destination of Foz do Iguaçu is incomparable, we shall spend two days visiting both sides of these remarkable waterfalls, both the Brazilian and Argentinean sides. We include entrance into the national park on both sides of the falls. At night you can enjoy an optional Churrascaria and show on the Brazilian side. A flight to Rio de Janiero is included.
- Airport transfers
- Flight from Foz to Rio
- Motorcycle rental of BMW F 650 GS
- Border Paperwork
- Support Vehicle with Passenger carrying capability
- Breakfasts everyday, 13 lunches and 10 dinners
- Accommodation in excellent small hotels
- Bonus night accommodation
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Access to Satellite phone, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions dress shirt
- Train and entrance to Machu Picchu and guided tour
- Lake Titikaka excursion
- La Paz city tour
- Salar day trip
- Valle de la Luna excursion
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- International flights
- Visas (If required)
- Personal spending money
- Personal health insurance
- Tips and gratuities
- 23 Nights accommodation & 1 bonus night
- Single supplement US$ 1150 (on 3 nights a single room may not be available)
- Accommodation ranges from from extremely basic cabins (1 night) through to four star hotels, for a list of our accommodation styles please refer to out FAQ page
- A flexible attitude is needed as standards are not always what we are accustomed to.
On every day we include breakfast. On mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen. We include mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants that we have used many times before.
- Breakfasts: 22
- Lunches: 13
- Dinners: 10
- Please note that you will need to be in Cusco one day prior to start of expedition (accommodation included)
- For bookings of 60 days or less before tour departure that have an included flight a surcharge of US$ 200 is added
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition. Compass Expeditions has negotiated a 10% discount with various insurance providers, see our Book Here page on our website for insurance options.