Tour start: Foz do Iguacu
Tour end: La Paz
Accommodation: 17 nights & 1 bonus night. 100% hotels (2 nights are spent in basic accommodation).
Single Supplement: US$ 850
Ride days: 9 (A ride day is when we overnight in a different location, some days we spend time on the bikes but return to the same location at days end, these days are not included in the ride day total.The bikes are also available for personal use on non-ride days at no extra cost).
- Foz do Iguazu
- Riding the Andes
- Adobe town of San Pedro de Atacama
- Stunning Atacama Desert sunset trip to Valle de la Luna
- 4 x 4 trip onto the incredible Salar de Uyuni
- Abandoned steam train collection parked in the desert
- Crossing the Andes between Uyuni and Potosi
- The chaos of La Paz
GRADE 4: Please refer to FAQs for full details of our grading system.
70% of this ride is on pavement, some sections of pavement can be potholed and narrow. 30% of this ride will be on dirt. Most dirt is hard packed, although there are sections that can have loose gravel and can be rutted with some very samll sections of sand and a small number of creek crossings On this ride we will cross a 4500mt/14,470ft pass and some time will be spent at an altitude over 3000mt/9800ft
Total distance: 2800 km / 1750 miles
We begin the ride spending two days exploring the awesome waterfalls at Foz Do Iguaçu. The Falls border Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil and we will spend time in both Argentina and Brazil exploring them. Riding west we soon enter the vast Chaco region of Northern Argentina via a night at the absolutely wonderful Hotel Puerto Valle. Two nights will be spent at the beautiful city of Salta with its wonderful Plaza de Armas and very temperate climate.
We leave Salta and cross into Chile via the remote and high Paso Jama before riding off an immense plateau and onto the adobe desert oasis town of San Pedro de Atacama, with its roofless restaurants and wonderful bars. We will travel out at sunset to witness the surrounding landscape burn a deep red as the sun goes down over the valley of the moon. From San Pedro de Atacama we enter an incredible world of expansive salt flats, coloured Flamingo filled lagoons, Geyser fields and still active volcanoes as we enter Boliva and ride onto the remote and wild town of Uyuni. A wonderful 4 x 4 trip is organised to travel out onto the endless Salar, being out on the salar is a completely surreal experience.
From Uyuni we cross the Andes once again, on another scenically wonderful ride, stopping at a local school Compass Expeditions sponsors, as we ride the high Altiplano toward the world’s highest city of Potosi. This city, once bigger and richer than new York and Paris, will leave you breathless, literally, as it sits at 4060m/13,320ft. We ride across the Altiplano and descend into a huge basin where La Paz sits, under the shadow of the snow capped Mt Illimani, where this remarkable motorcycle tour comes to an end. This ride is one that will stay with you forever, we at Compass are the only bike company on earth that offer this route.
- Airport transfers
- Flight from Rio de Janeiro to Foz do Iguazu
- Motorcycle Rental BMW F 650 GS
- Border paperwork
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Support vehicle with passenger carrying ability
- Non alcoholic drinks on support vehicle
- Breakfast everyday, 10 lunches and 8 dinners
- Accommodation in excellent small hotels
- Bonus night accommodation
- Pre-departure material and route maps
- Access to satellite phone, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions dress shirt
- Entrances to all national parks mentioned in the itinerary
- 4 x 4 trip across the incredible Salar
- La Paz city tour
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- International Flights
- Visas (if required)
- Personal spending money
- Personal Health Insurance
- Tips and gratuities
- 18 nights 3 to 4 star hotels & 1 bonus night. 2 of these nights are basic lodging on the Salar
- Accommodations are generally in 3 to 4 star hotels. For a list of our accommodation styles please refer to FAQs.
- A flexible attitude is needed as standards are not always what we are accustomed to.
- Single Supplement: US$ 850
On everyday of the tour we provide breakfast, on mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen, we provide mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants that we have used many times before.
- Breakfasts: 18
- Lunches: 10
- Dinners: 8
- Please note that you will need to be Rio de Janeiro one day prior to start of expedition (accommodation included)
- For bookings of 60 days or less that have an 'included flight' a surcharge of US$200 is added due to requirement to purchse last minute internal flights that are included in this package, at a much higher cost to us.
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition. Compass Expeditions has negotiated a 10% discount with various insurance providers, see our Book Here page on our website for insurance options.