Motorcycle Tours Terms & Conditions (International)
Please note these Terms and Conditions relate to joining a Compass Expeditions organised tour outside of Australia. When joining an organised tour in Australia please refer to the Australian Tours terms and conditions, when renting renting a motorcycle in Australia from BikeRoundOz please refer to the Australian Motorcycle Rental terms and conditions.
Please carefully read and agree to the following terms and conditions which form part of the contract you enter into by doing one of our tours.
Terms & Conditions
- The trip operator is Compass Expeditions Pty Ltd trading as Compass Expeditions of 2/21 Glenville Dve, Melton, 3337, Victoria, Australia
- A deposit of 10% is required to establish and hold a reservation. The full balance is due and payable ninety (90) days prior to departure, one hundred (100) days for our major Expeditions. Your booking may be considered cancelled should the full balance not be received by Compass Expeditions by that time.
- Should you have to cancel your trip we must receive notice in writing. If this is received more than ninety (90) days prior to departure, 50% of your payment will be refunded, or up to 100% at our discretion. If received with less than ninety (90) days notice any refund will be solely at our discretion. In the circumstances we strongly recommend that you obtain trip cancellation insurance from an insurance company. Please note your 10% deposit is not refundable for our major expeditions of 75 days or more.
- You are responsible for ensuring that you are fit and health enough to participate in your tour. We reserve the right to insist on a medical certificate from your doctor stating that you are in a suitable condition.
- We reserve the right to cancel any tour if the number if participants booked does not meet the minimum requirement to operate the trip. Should that occur your payment will be refunded in full if we are unable to transfer you to another trip to your satisfaction.
- The trip is run by the tour leader. The decisions of the tour leader will be final on all matters regarding safety and wellbeing of the participant including the motorcycle riding abilities of the participant and any change in itinerary due to unforeseen circumstances be that due to weather, local conditions, politics or various other reasons. The tour leader also retains the right to remove a participant from the tour. If the participant fails to comply with the decision made by the tour leader, or interferes with the wellbeing of the group in any material way, the tour leader may order the participant to leave the tour immediately. In those circumstances the participant will receive no right of refund. Furthermore, in circumstances were the participant is removed from the tour, Compass Expeditions accepts no responsibility for the ongoing travel expenses or any other incidental costs incurred by the participant.
- Compass Expeditions will not be liable to pay the participant any compensation if the contractual obligations detailed in these terms and conditions are affected by any event which we or our suppliers could not, even with all due care and attention, foresee or avoid. These events can include, but are not limited to acts of war, threats of war, civil unrest, terrorist activity, riot, acts of government or other national or state authorities including port or river authorities, industrial disputes, border closures, natural or nuclear disasters, fire, chemical disasters, adverse weather conditions, sea, ice or river conditions or any similar events outside of our or our suppliers control. We further advise that advice issued from the participants Foreign Office or any other Foreign Office to avoid or leave a particular country may constitute a relevant event under this clause.
- Compass Expeditions insists that the participant takes out a personal travel insurance policy and will request proof of same. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure suitable insurance cover is taken out prior to commencement of the trip.
- Compass Expeditions is not responsible for participant’s personal effects if they are lost, stolen or destroyed. Compass Expeditions can not be held liable for any such loss irrespective if personal items are being carried on the Compass Expeditions support vehicle / bike or lost during a shipment organised by Compass Expeditions.
- Compass Expeditions is not responsible for any accidents. It is agreed and understood that neither Compass Expeditions nor it’s agents, employees and sub contractors, including ride leaders and support vehicle drivers, are the guardians of any customer safety and that they, individually or collectively, cannot be held liable in any way for any occurrence in connection with the tour which might result in injury, death or other damage to the customer, his property or his family heirs or assigns.
- The motorcycles are provided by Compass Expeditions and the cost is included in the tour costs. Compass Expeditions will attempt to provide the trip participants with the model of motorcycle confirmed to the participant. If after having confirmed the model of motorcycle requested Compass Expeditions finds that it is necessary to substitute a different model Compass Expeditions will notify the participant as soon as possible. If the participant does not wish to accept the proposed substitution the participant may cancel the trip without penalty and the deposit will be refunded.
- Unexpected and uncontrollable situations may require last minute substitution of a motorcycle including after the trip has begun. This may include but is not limited to mechanical failure, collision, damage and theft. In this circumstance Compass Expeditions reserves the right to substitute the type of motorcycle confirmed. Should Compass Expeditions not be able to replace a motorcycle with the confirmed type or similar a prorated refund for the difference in models if any will be refunded to the participant.
- The motorcycle that Compass Expeditions provides to the participant will be insured but you will be liable for the first US$4,000 worth or any damage to the motorcycle deemed by Compass Expeditions to have been your responsibility. The term ‘damage’ is to exclude reasonable wear and tear. Minor blemishes or paint chips caused by gravel, stones and insects are considered normal wear and tear however damage or scratches caused by an accident, dropping a motorcycle or riding it through bushes or off roadways is not considered normal wear and tear. The participant may choose to limit their exposure to the initial $US4000 through the purchase of our Excess Reduction Policy (ERP). This policy operates to reduce the excess to an amount of US$1000 by payment by the participant of a fee of US$25 per day for the duration of the tour. The participant may exercise this option at the time of booking. Once the tour commences the participant will be unable to exercise this ERP option.
- The participant is solely responsible for the ignition keys during the normal course of a riding day. Should they be lost or stolen due to neglect or failure to follow the tour leaders instructions the participant is responsible for the replacement to a maximum cost of $US500.
- If a participant operates a motorcycle after drinking an alcoholic beverage or using mind altering drugs the rider will incur unlimited liability for damage to the motorcycle. Compass Expeditions is not obliged to replace a motorcycle damaged by a participant in these circumstances.
- Participants who intend to operate a motorcycle provided by Compass Expeditions must be at least 25 years old and must have a valid motor cycle operator licence. Participants must also attest that they have at least 2 years of experience operating a motorcycle of similar size or larger than the motorcycle that will be provided by Compass Expeditions.
- If the participant does not comply with local traffic laws, or does not practice safe group travel practices as described by the tour leader and by guidelines provided by Compass Expeditions the agreement with the rider may be cancelled and riding privileges will be suspended. Riding privileges will be suspended from anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Participants agree to refrain from alcoholic beverages until the motorcycles have been parked for the night.
Acceptance of Trips Terms and Conditions
I understand that I will be required to sign a Release and Waiver Form before I can participate in a Compass Expeditions Tour. I have read and accepted the terms of conditions of Compass Expeditions. I am aware that motorcycling can be dangerous. I am aware that traffic conditions, roads, weather and other conditions as well as the actions of other members of the trip can influence the risks. I agree to accept those risks.
I am an experienced responsible and healthy motorcyclist with a valid motorcycle driver licence. As a passenger I am aware of the potential dangers of motorcycling.
I further agree and understand that the owners, operators and agents of this trip, including Compass Expeditions, are not the guardians of my safety. They, individually or collectively, can not be held liable in any way for any occurrence in connection with the operation of my participation in the trip which might result in injury, death or other damage to me, my property or my family heirs or assigns.