BEST OF PATAGONIA
Jan 10th to Jan 23rd 2013 – CODE: BP/100113
Rider: US$ 6,690 – Co-rider: US$ 4,990
Chile & Argentina: See the best of Patagonia on this 14-day bikers adventure through the breathtaking landscape of ancient forests, tree-lined fjords, lakes, glaciers and towering volcanoes.
“No one remains unchanged after experiencing Patagonia.
Travelling through its extensive distances, admiring its natural wonders, feeling its earth and snows, and deciphering the mysteries hidden in its history and culture, one has the sensation of living through one of those unforgettable moments in life.”
Maria Casiraghi, photographer and Patagonian local
These words sum up wonderfully the experience of travelling through Patagonia, made all that more exhilarating on motorbike. This expedition takes the legendary Carretera Austral route encompassing all the best that Patagonia has to offer, from the rugged beauty of the south, the incredible vastness, awesome Andes, towering glaciers and staggeringly beautiful National Parks. This boutique expedition has everything. After setting off through the picturesque lakes district of Chile and Argentina, we turn south and hit the Patagonian Steppe region staying in a town remote and wild, the surprise here is the A class accommodation in a historic Estancia. Crossing into Chile again we hit the Carretera Austral (Southern Highway) traveling through idyllic villages, past Fjords, teeming waterfalls, crystal clear lakes, a hanging glacier and pristine old growth forests. To top it off the riding is challenging in places, thrilling throughout and always, always exciting!
- The tranquil lakeside setting of Pucon
- World famous Seven Lakes Drive
- Stunning mountains and lakes around Bariloche; as well as great dining and world class chocolates
- Spectacular waterfalls, glaciers and mountain scenery on the stunning Carretera Austral (southern highway)
- Los Alerces National Park
- Day at Puyuhuapi Lodge in the pristine mountain wilderness
Tour Start: Santiago, Chile
Tour End: Santiago, Chile
Accommodation: 14 nights hotels & 1 bonus night.
Single Supplement: US$ 700 (may be required to share a bathroom at least once on this trip)
Ride days: 9 to 11 (Some days are spent in the same location allowing clients to ride around and explore the area, if desired, this will increase the number of ride days depending on client preferences).
THIS RIDE IS NOT SUITABLE FOR OFF-ROAD NOVICES; although not technical some off-road experience is required.
Co-riders can be catered for. On difficult sectors co-riders can travel in the support vehicle.
65% of this ride is on pavement; some sections of pavement can be potholed and narrow. 35% of this ride will be on dirt. Most dirt is hard packed, although there are sections that have loose gravel and can be rutted. Additionally we may need to cross a small number of shallow creeks, depending on weather conditions.
Total distance: 2,700 km / 1,690 miles
Week One: We begin this tour in the Chilean capital of Santiago before flying to Pucon, deep within the Chilean lake district. Leaving Pucon we enjoy a wonderful ride through stunning alpine vistas, then crossing into Argentina and onto the world famous Seven Lakes Drive to Bariloche, scenically located on the shores of lake Nahuel Huapi. From Bariloche we ride on winding, mountain pavement to the township of Esquel at the foothills of the western Chubut Province and terminus of the legendary Patagonian Express train. Further south we ride surrounded by stunning wilderness and silence, stopping for one night near the remote settlement of Rio Mayo on the Patagonian Steppe. Embarking on the challenging ride across the Chilean border we reach Lost Antiguos. From here we head into the Fjordlands of the Carretera Austral, skirt the second largest lake in South America and ride up through the mountains to Coyhaique.
Week Two: Leaving Coyhaique we take the breathtaking ride up through the pristine wilderness of Queulat National Park to the remote settlement of Puyuhaupi for a rest day by the lake in this most stunning region. Onwards we continue along the rural roads past settlers’ ranches, across small bridges and wild rivers to the border town of Futaleufu, then back into Argentina and the lovely Esquel. We head north back up to Bariloche, but this time through Los Alerces National Park with its beautiful lakeside vistas. A full day in Bariloche can be spent visiting the picturesque town or riding in the mountains that surround the stunning Lake Nahuel Huapi. Returning once more across the border to Pucon via a different route, along the Rio Negro and back across rugged plains to the volcano region, for our flight back to Santiago.
* This tour spends only a half-day retracing our previous route. Everyday is a new experience and a new route.
- Airport transfers
- Flights Santiago – Pucon return
- Motorcycle Rental BMW F 650 GS
- Border paperwork
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Support vehicle with passenger carrying ability
- Breakfast everyday, 9 lunches and 7 dinners
- Accommodation in excellent small hotels
- Bonus night accommodation
- Pre-departure material and route maps
- Access to satellite phone, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions dress shirt
- Entrances to all national parks mentioned in itinerary
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- International Flights
- Travel/Health Insurance
- Visas (if required)
- Personal Items
- Tips & Gratuities
- 14 nights hotels & 1 bonus night
- Accommodation will generally be in 3 to 4 star hotels. For a list of our accommodation styles please refer to [insert link to accommodation information]
- A flexible attitude is needed, as standards are not always what we are accustomed to.
- Single Supplement: US$ 700 (may be required to share a bathroom at least once on this trip)
On everyday of the tour we provide breakfast, on mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen, we provide mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants that we have used many times before.
- Breakfasts: 14
- Lunches: 9
- Dinners: 7
- Please note that you will need to be in Santiago one day prior to start of expedition (accommodation included)
- For bookings made 60 days or less from tour start date, that have an ‘included flight’ a surcharge of US$200 is added
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition. Compass Expeditions has negotiated a 10% discount with various insurance providers, see [insert link to insurance details]