Jun 10th to Jun 23rd 2013 – CODE: BE/100613
Rider US$ 5,990 – Co-rider US$ 4,490
Brazil: An experience rich motorcycle tour, ride the golden trail and the Costa Verde.
This wonderful motorcycle tour takes in some of Brazil’s most stunning colonial towns, places such as the exquisite Ouro Preto, built in the Serra do Espinhaco range, and the wonderful Tirandentes. We visit quaint seaside villages, such as the stunning Buzios, and the relaxing spa town of Caxambu. The journey encompasses many beautiful alpine regions as we ride amongst magnificent mountains and valleys and explore cobblestone villages built amongst the hills. We eventually descend from the mountains visiting the incomparable Paraty and riding one of the world’s finest coastal rides, the Costa Verde (Emerald Coast), before returning to the legendary city of Rio de Janeiro.
- Sunset drinks above Rio from Sugar Loaf Mountain
- Alpine Region of Itatiaia
- Charming Buzios
- Colonial gold towns of Ouro Preto and Tiradentes
- The stunning Paraty
- Riding the Costa Verde
Tour start: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Tour end: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Accommodation: 14 nights hotel & 1 bonus night
Single Supplement: US$ 750
Ride days: 6 to 11 (Some days are spent in the same location allowing clients to ride around and explore the area, if desired, this will increase the number of ride days depending on client preferences).
This ride is suitable for two up riding.
100% of this ride is on paved roads. Some amazing mountainous rides with plenty of twisties. Riding conditions vary between very busy to winding narrow roads as we ride the Costa Verde. Most roads are generally two lanes wide, very limited riding is on busy freeways. Pavement can be very potholed on occasions.
Brazilian drivers can adopt a cavalier approach to road rules, riders need to be aware.
Total distance: 1,510 km / 945 miles
Week One: Today we explore the incredible city of Rio de Janeiro taking in all the sights that have made this city so internationally famous, from Ipanema to Copacabana, Pao de Azucar (sugarloaf mountain) to Corcovado (statue of Christ), we see them all. After lunch we transfer to the stunning beach side resort town of Buzios “discovered” by Bridgette Bardott. The town is on a peninsular with no less than 17 beaches and is considered by Brazilians to be one of the country’s most scenic spots. Riding out we continue along the winding coast road until we reach the mountains and ascend 1000 metres before arriving at the wonderfully “Swiss” township of Nova Friburgo. The ride continues onto the beautiful gold rush town of Ouro Preto. This architectural gem of a city flourished in the 18th century thanks to gold and lots of it. A short 175 km ride will see us at another gold rush era town of Tiradentes. This is an impossibly beautiful town along with the nearby Sao Jao Del Rei, so we spend two nights here exploring this stunning region, either by steam train or by bike, the choice is yours.
Week Two: We ride off for the tranquil resort town of Caxambu famed for its mineral waters and spas noted for curing a multitude of ailments. We ride down from the mountains and join the Costa Verde before reaching the beautiful Paraty sandwiched between the forested mountains and the magnificent Atlantic. We depart late enabling us to explore the many nearby beaches or wander the cobble-stoned town. The ride along the Emerald Coast is one of the world’s finest coastal rides and we take our time. We reach Penedo, situated on the edge of magnificent Itatiaia National Park, late afternoon for our penultimate night. The following day we transfer to Rio where we enjoy our last meal together remembering a wonderful journey that only a few can say, “they have completed”.
- Airport transfers
- Motorcycle rental BMW F650 GS
- Border paperwork
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Support vehicle with passenger carrying ability
- Breakfast everyday, 6 lunches and 5 dinners
- Accommodation in excellent small hotels
- Pre-departure material and route maps
- Access to satellite phones, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions dress shirt
- Entrance to Corcovado (statue of Christ)
- Sugar Loaf Mountain cable car
- National Park entrances mentioned in the itinerary
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- International Flights
- Visas (if required)
- Personal spending money
- Personal Health Insurance
- Tips and gratuities
- 14 Nights hotels & 1 bonus night
- Accommodation will generally be in 3 to 4 star hotels. For a list of our accommodation styles please to [insert link to accommodation information]
- A flexible attitude is needed, as standards are not always what we are accustomed to.
- Single Supplement: US$750.00
On everyday of the tour we provide breakfast, on mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen, we provide mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants that we have used many times before.
- Breakfasts: 14
- Lunches: 6
- Dinners: 5
- Please note that you will need to be in Rio do Janeiro one day prior to start of expedition (accommodation is included).
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition. Compass Expeditions has negotiated a 10% discount with various insurance providers, see [insert link to insurance links]