Turkey: An incredible ride into the interior of Turkey and the amazing fairytale landscapes of Cappadocia
Often described as the eighth wonder of the world Cappadocia is home to one of the most spectacular landscapes in the world. Hundreds of Thousands of years ago geologic events formed the astonishing face of the land that draws visitors from all over the world. The formation of the ‘fairy chimneys’ attracted ancient civilizations to carve houses, dove cotes and churches within the rock, decorating them with frescoes, inscriptions and symbolic art. Today the region of Cappadocia is recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site. The route to and from Cappadocia is both varied and interesting, taking in a mixture of fabulous archaeological sites, coastal towns, beautiful mountain and coastal roads.
Grade 2 Bike Tour
This tour is mainly on traffic free, paved B roads, with occasional short distances on main A roads. We sometimes ride on minor roads through villages and dirt surfaces that can occasionally contain some cobbles and loose gravel. In Cappadocia there is the chance to do some off-road riding but this is optional. Distances on 4 of the days are quite long with up to 7/8 hours of actual riding.
For more information about our Ride Grade System Please Click Here
Distance: approx 3000 km / 18750 mi
DATES & PRICES
|2013 Dates: 0st Mon to 0th Mon 2013||Tour CODE: OO/000013|
|Bike Options||Camping Package||Hotel Package||Availability|
|Bring your own bike||AU $0||AU $0||AVAILABLE|
|Suzuki DR 650||AU $0||AU $0||0 BIKES|
|BMW Sertao 650||AU $0||AU $0||0 BIKES|
|BMW F 650 GS Twin||AU $0||AU $0||0 BIKES|
|BMW F 800 GS||AU $0||AU $0||0 BIKES|
|BMW R 1200 GS||AU $0||AU $0||0 BIKES|
|Co-rider||AU $0||AU $0||4 PLACES|
- Stunning fairy chimney landscape of Cappadocia
- Staying in cave hotel
- Hot-air balloon ride (Option at additional cost)
- Derinkuyu underground city
- Remote canyon of Ihlara
- Stunning twisties of Turquoise Coast
- Ancient coastal port of Olympos
- Optional Turkish Bath
Tour start: Göcek
Accommodation: 10 nights & 1 bonus night
Single Supplement: Zero
Ride Days: 10
The start of the tour sees us riding east to visit the ancient city of Patara, birthplace of St. Nicholas (Santa Claus). We then travel along the stunning Turquoise twisty Mediterranean coastal route to the yachting port of Kaş. After overnighting, we continue up the coast and then head inland via Nevşehir to the fairytale landscape of Cappadocia. Days 4-6 are based in a beautiful cave hotel and give us ample time to explore this vast region, with rides to the fairy chimneys at Paşabağ; the underground city of Derinküyü – which was home to 5000 dwellers, and the ancient city of Güzelyürt. For walkers and nature lovers there is the chance to ride to the beautiful remote canyon of the Ihlara valley and hike for miles. Riders also have the chance to take a magnificent hot air balloon ride over the region and for a different perspective; there is the opportunity to do some challenging off-roading amongst the troglodyte chimneys.
We depart for Konya, the historic cultural centre of Anatolia, famous for the whirling dervishes with a chance to visit the famous Mevlana museum. Heading south, we stop over night in the ancient walled city of Antalya where we visit a typical Turkish mehane (music restaurant). There is a chance to shop before departing for the beautiful beach and ancient coastal port of Mount Olympos. Here there is an optional day ride or a day off on the beach with the chance to visit the ancient port and climb to see the eternal burning flames of the Chimera. Heading west the final leg sees us ride the beautiful coastal route with a chance to swim in the clearest Turquoise waters of the Mediterranean and then up into the mountains before reaching our home destination of Göcek.
- Airport Transfers From Dalaman Intl
- Rental of fully equipped late model BMW Motorcycle
- Panniers & Top case
- Support vehicle with passenger carrying ability
- Breakfast’s everyday
- Meals as per itinerary
- 10 night accommodation
- 1 bonus night accommodation
- Bi-lingual guide
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Pre-departure material and route maps
- Access to satellite phone, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions dress shirt
- Office support for travel, connections, luggage etc
WHATS NOT INCLUDED
- International flights & and taxes
- Visas (if required)
- Entrance to historical sights
- Alternative activities eg. boat trips
- Personal items
- Personal travel insurance
- Tips and gratuities
- 10 nights in 3-4 star hotels and resorts & 1 bonus night
- A flexible attitude is needed as services may be not what you are accustomed to.
- Single supplement: Zero
On every day of the tour we include breakfast. On mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen. We include mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants we have used many times before.
Breakfasts:11 / Lunches: 3 / Dinners: 4
- Please note that you will need to be in Göcek one day prior to start of tour (accommodation included). Please be aware that Göcek is a 20 minute drive from Dalaman International Airport (Airport transfers included)All international flights stop over in Istanbul.
- Dalaman International is a one hour flight from Istanbul
It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition. Compass Expeditions has negotiated a 10% discount with various insurance providers, see Travel Insurance for details.