Kyrgyzstan: Be one of a handful of bikers to explore this rugged Central Asian country in the shadows of the Tien Shan Mountains on the ancient Silk Road
A landscape of towering mountains, lush alpine valleys, glaciers and lakes, Kyrgyzstan is the ultimate bikers destination. Kyrgyzstan is a nation of incredible untouched natural beauty and is home to the world’s second largest freshwater lake and some of the finest remote mountain riding in the world. We stay in Gers atop lonely remote Jailoo’s (summer pastures) or scenically located high altitude lakes. Often described as some of the finest riding on earth, Kyrgyzstan offers a new and very unique riding destination. Join us on this ride of Silk Road legends and legendary landscapes.
Images courtesy of Ian Emmett.
Dates & Prices
At a Glance
- Stunning alpine beauty of Altyn Arashan
- Song Kol Lake
- Every single days riding!!!!
- Ala Archa Canyon
- Crossing the Kaldama Pass
- Golden Eagle Hunting
- Airport Transfers in Bishkek
- Motorcycle rental
- Support vehicle with passenger carrying ability
- 15 Breakfasts
- 9 lunches
- 11 dinners
- 14 nights accommodation
- 1 bonus night accommodation
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Pre-departure material and route maps
- Access to satellite phone, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions polo shirt
- Entrances to all national Parks mentioned in the itinerary
- Excursion to Altyn Arashan
- Golden Eagle hunting exhibition
- Picnic lunch in traditional yurt
- International flights
- Visas (if required)
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Personal items
- Personal travel insurance
- Tips and gratuities
All accommodation is twin or double share, if you would like a single room there will be a single supplement: US $750
(Please note, you may be required to share a bathroom at least once on this trip).
Our motorcycles are insured and have a damage excess of US$ 2500, you can reduce the excess by taking advantage of our Excess Reduction Policy: US$ 15 per day
Joining Day: Your Bishkek airport transfer will take you directly to our joining hotel, ready for an early start tomorrow. Today you will meet your crew for your tour briefing and welcome dinner.
Day 1: A short introductory ride today to the stunning Ala Archa National Park before returning to Bishkek.
Day 2: Leaving the big city lights behind we ride south again and into the mountains where we cross the 3,586 m Too Ashuu Pass. Tonight we stay at the amazing Chychkan Canyon at a basic hotel amazingly located over a raging glacial river.
Day 3 The ride today will see us reach the biggest Walnut grove on earth at Arslanbob, an elevated village beautifully located between the Ferghana and Chatkal Ranges.
Day 4: Today will see us descend from the mountains and into the broad Ferghana Valley arriving into one of Central Asia most historic cities of Osh late afternoon.
Day 5: Today's ride will see us ride south over the 2,389 m Chyyrchyk Pass on the road that takes travellers into Tajikistan and circling back to Osh. It's an amazing day of impossibly rugged scenery.
Day 6: Leaving Osh we ascend from the fertile Ferghana Valley and hit the dirt for some extraordinary dirt tracks that climb to a dizzying 3000 m at Kaldama Pass. We overnight at a homestay in the mining village of Kazarman.
Day 7: We spend the day at around 1900 m ascending and descending via an amazing series of twisties. Todays’ riding is absolutely stunning and is rounded off at the best hotel in Naryn, the Khan Tengri.
Day 8: Leaving Naryn we quickly climb to 2000 m and are awestruck by an icy snow covered At Bashy Range that borders China. We overnight in a wonderful traditional Yurt Camp spectacularly located under the “Dragons Teeth”.
Day 9: Today's riding is challenging as we cross rivers, most of them dry, and ascend and descend mountain passes via amazing switch backs and pass lofty “Jailoos” (summer pastures), but it will all be worth it when we cross the 3rd and final pass and get our first glimpses of Song Kol (lake) ringed by a wall of snow capped peaks. We overnight in our second, and final, yurt camp set beside Song Kol.
Days 10,11, 12 & 13: Leaving Song Kol we briefly ascend to 3460 m before “descending” to the second highest alpine lake in the world of Issyk Kol. We ride the southern shores of this massive lake before arriving at Karakol our base for the next 4 nights allowing us to explore this incredibly beautiful region full of stunning alpine valleys that tumble down from the Tien Shan Mountains. No visit to this region is complete without an overnight stay at the staggeringly beautiful Altyn Arashan, a postcard perfect Alpine Valley at 3000 m.
Day 14: For a completely different perspective we ride the northern shores of Issyk Kul, running along the border with Kazakhstan, on our way to Kyrgyzstan’s capital, Bishkek for our final night together.
Departure day: Spend some time in Bishkek or fly home, the choice is yours.
Tour End: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- 15 nights of accommodation: 11 nights in 3 to 4 star hotels, 2 nights in traditional yurts, 2 nights in home-stays
- A flexible attitude is needed, as services in these extremely remote regions of Central Asia will NOT be what you are accustomed to.
- All accommodation is on a twin share basis. If you are traveling alone we will pair you up with another solo traveler. However, if you prefer single accommodation a single supplement is available: US$ 750.00 (please note that you may be required to share a bathroom at least once on this trip)
- On every day of the tour we include breakfast: 15 Breakfasts
- On mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen: 9 Lunches
- We include mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants we have used many times before: 11 Dinners
- You will need to be in Bishkek one day prior to start of expedition, for your joining day (a bonus nights accommodation is included)
- All riders must have a valid motorcycle license and at least two years riding experience.
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition.
Yamaha XT600 E
Yamaha XT660 Z Tenere
TRIP EXTENSIONS – ASIA
Central and South East Asia are such a fantastic destinations for motorcycling but there is so much more on offer than fantastic roads and exceptional vistas.
Use the form below to let us know how we can assist in extending or enhancing your Asian adventure.
Contact us using the form below:
TOUR AND EXPEDITION TRAVEL INSURANCE
|At Compass Expeditions we work hard to make sure that your motorcycle tour runs smoothly and safely. Your welfare is of primary concern to us and we know that we cannot control every situation on the road or while you are traveling.
Accidents happen, luggage is lost and tour or flight cancellations can occur, so it is our policy that all participants of Compass Expeditions tours have an appropriate level of travel insurance to cover the unforeseen. This is not only compulsory when joining a Compass Expeditions motorcycle tour, but it makes sense.
|We have sourced a number of companies that will provide you coverage in the event of an accident and/or other losses, depending on the policy selected and better still will give all Compass Expeditions customers a 10% discount off the advertised rates when purchasing through the our website, (this offer is not available over the phone). Compass Expeditions does not endorse, recommend or guarantee payment in the event of a claim from any of the insurers mentioned. We do know that they will offer a policy for clients riding a motorcycle OVER 250cc (including our bikes). This is a critical point to ensure when purchasing a policy. Compass Expeditions are offering this information as a service only to ensure all our clients are properly protected.|
Travel Cover for Australians:
Hi Mick & Ryan,
I was pleased to be a part of your inaugural Krygyzstan Explorer. Compass again enhanced its reputation as an exciting, reliable and professional outfit with a truly rewarding experience in the latest destination for travelling/touring riders. The great thing is my friends think that I am somewhat of an adventurer navigation my way to exotic destinations in diverse and remote locations. They don't realize how easy Compass make it for us and it is my privilege to simply tag along and follow the guy up front.
Another great experience Mick... Well done.
The Kyrgyzstan trip is absolutely amazing! Simply awesome!
Compass and the team took me on a trip of a life time to a special part of the world unknown to most, many thanks Compass.