Russia & Mongolia: Ride remote Mongolia and the legendary Trans Siberian Highway through wild and epic landscapes
This one of a kind ride will explore an utterly unique & rarely visited part of Central Asia. We shall experience an empty landscape dotted with gers and populated with wild mobs of horses and yaks that graze the lonely landscape, that is Mongolia. Crossing the border, we enter the legendary Siberia and visit the greatest fresh water lake on earth, Lake Baikal. Riding the renown Trans-Siberian Highway, we ride the epic Chuysky Trakt, in the stunning Altay region before riding back into Mongolia. This is a ride of endless superlatives, remote vast landscapes, epic lakes & mother Russia!!
Dates & Prices
8th August 2023 to 24th August 2023
Tour Code: TS/080823
|Rider / Suzuki DR 650||US$7760|
|Rider / BMW F800 GS||US$7760|
|Pillion / Support Vehicle||US$6245|
At a Glance
- The Mongolian Capital of Ulaan Baatar
- Giant Chinggis Khan Monument
- Epic Mongolian and Siberian landscapes
- Riding the Trans-Siberian Highway
- UNESCO Listed Lake Baikal
- Siberian city of Irkutsk
- Kuznetsk Alatau Mountains
- The Altay Mountains and the Altay resort
- Snow-capped peaks, turquoise rivers and glaciers
- The Chuysky Trakt, - one of the 10 best road trips on earth
- Overnight in a traditional Mongolian Ger Camp
- Airport Transfers
- Motorcycle rental as per your selection.
- Flight from Bayan Olgii to Ulaan Baatar
- Support vehicle with passenger carrying ability
- 16 nights accommodation in excellent small hotels and a Ger Camp
- 16 breakfasts
- 12 lunches
- 13 Dinners
- Services of ride leader and support vehicle driver
- Pre-departure material and route maps
- Access to a satellite phone, pay per minute
- Compass Expeditions tour shirt
- Entrances to all attractions mentioned in the itinerary
- International Flights
- Visas (if required)
- Personal Health/Travel Insurance
- Tips and gratuities
All accommodation is twin or double share, if you would like a single room there will be a single supplement: US$ 1,320
(please note, you may be required to share a bathroom at least once on this trip).
Our motorcycles are insured and have a damage excess of US$ 5000, you can reduce the excess by taking advantage of our Excess Reduction Policy: US$ 25 per day
Day 1: Your Ulaan Baatar airport transfer will take you directly to our joining hotel, ready for an early start tomorrow. Today you will meet your crew for your tour briefing and welcome dinner.
Day 2: Receiving our bikes, it’s a short ride today out to the towering Chinggis Khan statue before returning to Ulaan Baatar.
Day 3: Leaving the Mongolian capital, we ride due north, towards the Russian border and stay overnight at Darkhan.
Day 4: We cross into Siberia, Russia today and the landscape immediately becomes forested until reaching tonight’s destination of the once closed city of Ulan Ude on the Trans-Siberian Highway.
Day 5: Riding the Trans-Siberian Highway west we will get our first glimpses of the mighty Lake Baikal as we hug the shoreline for some time until we reach the beautiful Irkutsk, the de-facto capital of Siberia.
Day 6: Today we take an excursion to UNESCO listed Lake Baikal, the oldest and deepest freshwater lake on earth. We can spend the warm evening twilight hours exploring the bars restaurants of Irkutsk, a wonderful Siberian city full of 19th-century buildings
Day 7:Leaving Irkutsk, we ride north-west and into wild, rural Russia. We will be among the handful of people who travel the Trans-Siberian here, everyone else is on the train! We overnight at a small Russian community of Tulun, this is the real Russia.
Day 8: Back on the Trans-Siberian we continue west through rolling hills, farmlands and forests until we reach the halfway point of this ride at Krasnoyarsk, but also the Trans-Siberian Highway, that stretches from Vladivostok to Moscow.
Day 9: Today we cross the beautiful Kuznetsk Alatau Mountains on our way to the old coal mining city of Kemerovo with its stunning ploschad, or square, with many beautiful museums, theatres and parks.
Day 10: We leave the Trans- Siberian Highway and ride south-west via the lonely back roads of the southwestern region of Siberia. We arrive at Barnaul, scenically located on the banks of the Ob River.
Day 11: Today we leave the big lights behind and ride into an absolutely stunning Altay region of Russia, a region of pine covered mountains and vast valleys. We spend the next two nights at the 5-star Altay Resort.
Day 12: Today is a day off the bikes but if you are desperate for your motoring fix, quad bikes and ATVs are available to explore the beautiful region. Perhaps a massage, spa, fishing or trekking, the options are endless.
Day 13: Departing the Altay Resort, we enter the incredible Altay Mountains, a landscape of towering snow-capped peaks, turquoise rivers and glaciers that come up to the roadside. We ride the Chuysky Trakt, named as one of the 10 best road trips on earth!
Day 14: Continuing through the mighty Altay, along the Chuysky Trakt, we are surprised to enter a landscape of Savannah covered plateau, bordered by snow-capped peaks in the distance for our last night in Russia in Kosh Agach
Day 15: We cross back into Mongolia today and ride onto Bayan – Olgii in the shadow of the might Altay which we have just crossed, staying overnight at a wonderful traditional Mongolian ger camp.
Day 16: Leaving our bikes in Bayan Olgii we board a plane to take an included flight back to the Mongolian capital of Ulaan Baatar for our final night of this epic ride.
Departure day: Spend some time in Ulaan Baatar or fly home, the choice is yours.
- 16 nights of accommodation.
- Our accommodations range from small family run hotels, 1 ger camp through to 4-star hotels.
- A flexible attitude is needed as standards are not always what we are accustomed to.
- All accommodation is on a twin share basis. If you are traveling alone, we will pair you up with another solo traveller. However, if you prefer single accommodation a single supplement is available: US$ 1,320 (please note that you may be required to share a bathroom at least once on this trip)
- On every day of the tour we include breakfast: 16 Breakfasts
- On mentioned ride days we provide a picnic lunch that we prepare ourselves from our mobile kitchen: 12 lunches
- We include mentioned dinners in reliable restaurants we have used many times before: 13 Dinners
- All riders must have a valid motorcycle license and at least two years riding experience.
- It is a requirement that all clients have appropriate insurance for this type of expedition.
TRIP EXTENSIONS – ASIA
Central and South East Asia are such a fantastic destinations for motorcycling but there is so much more on offer than fantastic roads and exceptional vistas.
Use the form below to let us know how we can assist in extending or enhancing your Asian adventure.
Contact us using the form below:
TOUR AND EXPEDITION TRAVEL INSURANCE
|At Compass Expeditions we work hard to make sure that your motorcycle tour runs smoothly and safely. Your welfare is of primary concern to us and we know that we cannot control every situation on the road or while you are traveling.
Accidents happen, luggage is lost and tour or flight cancellations can occur, so it is our policy that all participants of Compass Expeditions tours have an appropriate level of travel insurance to cover the unforeseen. This is not only compulsory when joining a Compass Expeditions motorcycle tour, but it makes sense.
We have sourced a number of companies that will provide you coverage in the event of an accident and/or other losses, depending on the policy selected. Compass Expeditions does not endorse, recommend or guarantee payment in the event of a claim from any of the insurers mentioned. We do know that they will offer a policy for clients riding a motorcycle OVER 250cc (including our bikes). This is a critical point to ensure when purchasing a policy. Compass Expeditions are offering this information as a service only to ensure all our clients are properly protected.
World Nomad travel insurance policies provide cover for clients located in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Europe, Asia and the US. Please click on link to be directed to their website to obtain your quote.
Travel Cover for Australians: